While writing this article about homeopathic remedies for constipation, I searched for constipation statistics in google. As expected, the numbers are high – as high as 20% and 30% of the population. I also came across a curious statement on some of the conventional medicine websites:
Myth: it’s abnormal not to have one bowel movement per day.
Truth: less than 50% of people have a bowel movement every day.
This made me smile. What kind of logic is this? How does the fact that so many people don’t pass their stool every day make it normal?? Lots of women suffer from PMS and very painful periods. Is this normal too because so many experience it? Strange conclusion.
Anyway, in my earlier article I wrote plenty about the dangers of chronic constipation. I also suggested some ways of managing it. In this blog I want to concentrate on the main homeopathic remedies for constipation and their keynotes.
Homeopathic remedies for constipation – top 5 remedies
- Bryonia: large, dry and almost burnt-looking stool. Dryness is a keynote of this homeopathic remedy for constipation. They have dry mucous membranes, eyes, mouth, and synovial fluid of the joints. There can be a burning or stabbing pain in the back passage as the stool is passed. Very thirsty, they drink a lot at a time gulping rather than taking small sips. Worse from slightest motion, they desire peace and quiet. There may be soreness in the abdomen that is better for pressure.
- Nux-vomica: they always feel like not enough stool has passed. They have an urge to pass stool, but there is always more left in the rectum, and they spend a long time in the toilet trying to pass more. Everything tightens up inside. If only they could relax enough to pass a larger stool, they would feel much better for it.
- Lycopodium: full rectum but no urging. Constipation accompanied by bloating, belching, needing to loosen the clothing. They have a strong desire for sweets. Disturbed liver function.
- Alumina: little desire for stool, no urging. Stools dry and in balls clumped together, like sheep droppings. Lack of activity, almost paralysis of the rectum. This homeopathic remedy for constipation suits particularly well the elderly, formula-fed babies, and people with a sedentary lifestyle. Interestingly, they pass a stool better when standing up. Even soft stool is passed with great difficulty, straining, and sweating. They need to make a disproportionate effort.
- Opium: severe chronic constipation, with loss of appetite and drowsiness. Their peristalsis is entirely suppressed. Indicated in constipation after surgery. May be useful when a child is constipated after a fright or retains stool after a painful defecation (also Silica).
More homeopathic remedies for constipation
- Silica: we call this homeopathic remedy for constipation the “bashful stool” remedy. This means that the stool that has already protruded slips back inside. Silica has a lot of urging but can’t expel the stool. A lot of children do well on this remedy. They feel chilly and shy. When straining for stool, their tummy muscles can get sore and head sweats.
- Calcarea carbonica: another great children’s remedy. Their stool may look light in colour, almost like chalk. Oddly, parents often say that the child is in good form when constipated. Their burps and sweat may have sour smell. And they also have a sweaty head, their pillow may be wet in the morning.
- Sepia: they often describe a sensation of “ball in the rectum”. They feel fullness and may even have a prolapse. This is a great homeopathic remedy for constipation of pregnancy. The woman often feels dull, heavy and irritable.
- Sulphur: large, painful stool, and the person may hold it back in fear of pain. Their lips and anus may look very red. They usually feel warm or hot, may have bouts of hunger at 11 am. Their constipation may happen periodically and may alternate with diarrhoea. Sulphur patients can often be messy and self-centred.
- Lac defloratum: this homeopathic remedy for constipation is made from skimmed milk. We use it less frequently. Its main indication is chronic migraines together with chronic constipation with coldness. These patients are supersensitive to cold and have an aversion to milk.
As always, choose the homeopathic remedy for constipation looking at the whole picture, not just stool symptoms. And if you get stuck, reach out for help and book your appointment with me. I can help you make your chronic constipation a thing of the past.
I hope you found this helpful. If you have any questions or would like to book an appointment, please feel free to contact me. I am a qualified professional offering expert homeopathic treatment in Dublin and Online. Family discounts available.